RE: [TCLUG:9741] PPP redial problem

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, McNitt, Jennifer wrote:

MJ >I went into /etc/rc.d/init.d and there is not a 'ppp' file.  Here is what I
MJ >have:

It may be in your linuxconf script, which I'm assuming will have a *.d
directory using the run-parts.

MJ >My /etc/ppp directory has these:
MJ >
MJ >chap-secrets    ioptions  ip-up    pap-secrets  resolv.conf
MJ >connect-errors  ip-down   options  peers

Yep, these are standard.  You'll find your password in the pap-secrets
file.  Make sure the file permissions are for root read/write only.
Don't want anyone on your system getting your passwords.  One thing
that Debian does, however is add directories called ip-up.d and
ip-down.d.  These directories contain scripts that run after a
connection is added and after the connection is dropped.  Very nice
and simple to use.

MJ >There is only one file in my peers directory and that is wvdial.

So RedHat is using wvdial to script things?  I'm guessing here, so
don't quote me.

MJ >The only other files that I have found that seem to relate to ppp are in
MJ >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  Here is what is in this directory:
MJ >
MJ >chat-ppp0         ifcfg-ppp0   ifdown-sl     ifup-plip    ifup-sl
MJ >ifcfg-eth0        ifdown       ifup          ifup-post    network-functions
MJ >ifcfg-lo          ifdown-post  ifup-aliases  ifup-ppp
MJ >ifcfg-lo.rpmsave  ifdown-ppp   ifup-ipx      ifup-routes

I'm assuming the ifup-ppp and ifdown-ppp are your execution scripts?

MJ >Below is what is in the ifcfg-ppp0 file:
...[snip]...
MJ >DISCONNECTTIMEOUT=""
MJ >RETRYTIMEOUT="0"
...[snip]...

You may want to increase RETRYTIMEOUT to about 30 seconds.  I can
assume that this variable refers to the 'holdoff' option for pppd.
Take a look at your pppd process for the options it's running on the
command line using the 'ps' tool.  (i.e. "$ ps awx | grep pppd").  I
believe the DISCONNECTTIMEOUT refers to the 'idle' option.

You see what I mean?  This type of config script disconnects you from
the actual options being run on pppd, which are quite simple and
straight forward.  It's not like you're trying to configure Sendmail
for the first time or anything.  These type of scripts are just not
needed!  Anyway.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html