RE: [TCLUG:9768] samba problems

>Actually, maybe that is your problem...  Although maybe "file" is just
>confused.
        nah, I cat'ed the file and it spewed several pages of garbage. it's
a bin alright.

>On my system, 'file /etc/MACHINE.SID' returns:
>/etc/MACHINE.SID: ASCII text
>And the contents of the file look something like:
>S-1-5-21-428541845-317371003-2878726185
        aha. that would make sense, since I understand the SID to be some
sort of program unique ID that gets checked over the network, to be sure you
don't have multiple installs of the same license.
        another case where corporate license issues cause a PITA for
everyone else. ;(
        another reason to stick with only GPL/BSD software, if possible.

        now how does that number get generated?
        can I use your number, and will it work?

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091