RE: slow system

Carl wrote:
>>	Netscape is also a huge memory hog, so having GNOME and
>> Netscape running at the same time is a recipe for thrashing.
>        I've got a 486/66 w/ 44MB here at work that I experiment on; runs
>Wordperfect 8 quite happily, with no outrageous slowness.
>        Netscrape 4.06 (notably smaller than the current 4.7 release *)
>takes a minute or two to load. and once loaded, is *really* slow to open
>windows/dialog boxes/&c.
>* it's shocking when you start to consider a ~14MB install file 'small';
b/c
>it's less than the current ~28MB monstrosity.
>  and you can't tell the difference between the two; other than a few more
>assorted bits of crap you never use in the more recent version. ;(

This is going to sound like a dumb question, I know, but
if the newer versions of Navigator are so bloated and buggy,
shouldn't we drop back to earlier versions? I'm currently
running (under Win98, true) both Netscape Navigator 3.02
and Communicator 4.7, and when all is said and done I *really*
prefer 3.02. Maybe we should just stick to the earlier versions
and push NSCP to make the software *less* laden with bells,
whistles, and Java-driven foofaraws.

Kevin Trainor
Wells Fargo Customer Accounting
"Well if the money talks, why won't it speak to me?"
     -Jason & The Scorchers

All opinions my own, not WF's.