funny mouse stuff

Has anybody seen this type of thing before:

Doo da da doin my thing, in a term, in X.  Go grab the mouse->blammo!
mouse pointer is on the top of the screen, with the button-2 menu showing!
whoa!  Click outside the menu, it disappears, mouse is weird and jumpy.

Ok, shutdown X, maybe it was some weird thing that'll be gone now. Restart
X.

10 minutes later, some erratic mouse behaviour... oh oh, sure enough, in a
minute same thing happens!  Except this time, when the pointer jumped to
the top and the button-2 menu came up, one of my application windows jumps
to the left about an inch and is on top! (it was previously on the bottom)

Ack!  Strangeness.

Ok, ok.  Try again.  Restart X.  I get about a half hour.  Happens a third
time, except now X is locked too.  Can't switch focus with keyboard etc.
Kill X.  Restart X.  X is locked.  You know when you start X, for a few
seconds you have raw X, with the big "X" pointer and that trippy mesh
backround?  Can't move mouse there even.  Try a couple more time
(restarting X) locked every time.  Jeez.

Try a windows-style solution: reboot.  This was all last night.  X starts
up fine.  I went to bed shortly after the reboot (it didn't act up in that
short time period). Today, however, it did it one more time, though not
too bad.  The pointer jumped and a window that was on the bottom rose to
the top.  That was this morning.  Left for school.  Came back.  Been
computing for two hours now with no problem.

Relevant info: I use default RH gnome+enlightenment.  Mach64 X-server.
ps2 mouse (that works fine).  I've been using this configuration for about
5 months, with nothing else like this happening.  I haven't been tweaking
anything that could result in this either.

I'm now using Afterstep to see if something similar happens.

 -ryan           be kind.