Re: [TCLUG:10231] Apache config

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> I'd like to make one person in charge of each school's site and allow them
> to upload new pages via ftp. All of the schools' pages are under
> /home/httpd/. For example, Somerset Elem. is at /home/httpd/somerset,
> Community Education is at /home/httpd/comed. I know it's mostly right
> because looking at http://www.somerset.isd197.k12.mn.us/ or
> http://www.comed.isd197.k12.mn.us/ takes you to the proper site.

Create a user for each site, .e.g, comed:webusers, somerset:webusers, et
c. Make their dirs 0755 and owned by them. Then when they log in as
themselves over FTP, they can get to and modify their directories.

> Further, I can't figure out why individual pages are not available under
> http://school.hostname/~teachername?

Prolly because /path/to/teachername/publuc_html is not underneath
ServerRoot. Put their dirs in (e.g.) ~httpd/<teachername> and then
use links point from ~/<teachername>/public_html to ~httpd/<teachername>.

You can also do this with the <schoolname> users, to make FTP a little
easier (FTP drops you in your ~ by default, of course).

If any of this is unlcear or insufficient, just squeak and I'll try to
clean it up. :)

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com