Configuring MediaOne internet access

Is anyone out there using MediaOne two way internet service? I got
set up with it this week and I cannot really get it to do anything
under linux. I have everything humming along pretty smoothly under
Win98 but I would like to learn how to set up a linux firewall and
have that machine connected to the service.

I had quite the adventure setting up a second ethernet card (Linksys
LNE100TX) but I got that going now and I am ready to try and get all
of the internet services going on the server/firewall before trying
to get them running on the other PC's on the LAN.

The PC I am trying to get going with linux now dual boots Win98 and
RedHat 6.0. Everything is working ok under Windows - even for all
other PC's on the LAN via the Wingate proxy server. Here is what I
had to do to get things going for Windows:
1) Configure TCP/IP to obtain a static IP address.
2) Disable DNS
3) Remove all gateways
4) Enable WINS resolution and check 'Use DHCP for WINS Resolution'

That was it, it had only taken about 5 minutes to setup. No software
was installed and I do not need to log-in to MediaOne to use the
service. My other ethernet card I assigned a static IP to
(192.168.0.1) so it can talk to my LAN. This NIC is connected to a
hub, while the other goes into the cable modem.

When I boot to linux eth0 (cable) and eth1 (LAN) come up ok. I can
ping or telnet to another host on the LAN ok, and I seem to be able
to do the same to other hosts on the MediaOne subnet if I use an IP
number - names do not work (because DNS isn't being used I guess).

Netscape is dead, unless I type in an IP for another system on the
subnet (like 24.31.31.15 I found a host with a web server up via nmap
and when I went to it the default RedHat/Apache welcome page sprung
up!) Actually, I am playing with this as I speak. If I enter the IP
for Slashdot intead of the name, the text comes up but non of the
pictures. When I do the same for Excite, I get nothing. I tried
several other sites that I knew the IP numbers for and they did
appear to come up ok. Things are hit and miss.

I would imagine that the problem has to do with not using DNS. I
really know little about it and less about WINS which is what is set
up for Windows. Is there some way to use WINS through linux??

Any help would be appreciated. I have found some resources on using
the MediaOne RoadRunner service with linux on the net, but everything
I found appears to be somewhat dated and from users on either the
West or East coast and it appears that they all need to 'log-in' to
media one in some way, shape, form to use the service. I do not need
to do that here.

Thank-you,
Mike Glaser