Re: [TCLUG:10518] Configuring MediaOne internet access

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 01:03:09PM -0600, Mike Glaser wrote:

> I would imagine that the problem has to do with not using DNS. I
> really know little about it and less about WINS which is what is set
> up for Windows. Is there some way to use WINS through linux??

	No.  WINS is not in the least bit standard.

> Any help would be appreciated. I have found some resources on using
> the MediaOne RoadRunner service with linux on the net, but everything
> I found appears to be somewhat dated and from users on either the
> West or East coast and it appears that they all need to 'log-in' to
> media one in some way, shape, form to use the service. I do not need
> to do that here.

	One thing you could do is set up a caching only DNS server on
your Linux box.  Then it would go out and query the root nameservers
directly.  A bit slower perhaps, but it would work.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature