Re: [TCLUG:10518] Configuring MediaOne internet access

As I said.  It isn't WINS that is doing the resolving.  Go RTFM on how
DHCP works and you would realise what m1 is doing.  It is very smart, and
if you RTFM it is very easy to setup in linux

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Eric M. Hopper wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:24:21 -0600
> From: Eric M. Hopper <hopper@omnifarious.mn.org>
> To: tclug-list@mn-linux.org
> Cc: tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG:10518] Configuring MediaOne internet access
>
> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 01:03:09PM -0600, Mike Glaser wrote:
> >
> > I would imagine that the problem has to do with not using DNS. I
> > really know little about it and less about WINS which is what is set
> > up for Windows. Is there some way to use WINS through linux??
>
> 	No.  WINS is not in the least bit standard.
>
> > Any help would be appreciated. I have found some resources on using
> > the MediaOne RoadRunner service with linux on the net, but everything
> > I found appears to be somewhat dated and from users on either the
> > West or East coast and it appears that they all need to 'log-in' to
> > media one in some way, shape, form to use the service. I do not need
> > to do that here.
>
> 	One thing you could do is set up a caching only DNS server on
> your Linux box.  Then it would go out and query the root nameservers
> directly.  A bit slower perhaps, but it would work.
>
> Have fun (if at all possible),
> --
> Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
> Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet
> broke a chain or freed a human soul.     ---Mark Twain
> -- Eric Hopper (hopper@omnifarious.mn.org
>                 http://ehopper-host105.dsl.visi.com/~hopper) --

---
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
      destiny's admin       | The first thing we do,
 http://www.ringworld.org   |  let's kill all the lawyers.
finger me for gnupg/pgp key |   -- Wm. Shakespere, "Henry VI"