Scanners and Linux

I recently got a used UMAX Astra 600S and I was wondering if anyone has
had luck getting one to work. The SANE webpage says it supported but
there is some evidence that I will need a different SCSI card than the
one that came with the scanner. {I have no idea what card it is, it has
no markings of any kind visable to me and I have no documentation on the
scanner or the card.}

I realize this is a very broad question but any suggestions would be
appreciated.

You'd really make my day if you could tell me something about my SCSI
card :-)

--
Dave Erickson
Remove "xxx" from address to reply