X on ATI Rage IIC AGP and other questions

I am running a K6-2/333 box with a RageIIC AGP graphics chip that works fine under Win98 (ick) but I have never been able to get working properly with Xwindows. Will work (sort of) with vga16 driver but not with XF86MACH-64which is the driver that should work with this card.I originally repartitioned my HD with fips and installed Redhat 5.2, which worked except for the X problem and I never got netscape to work. I later got RH 6.0 (hoping for a newer driver)and installed that over 5.2. Again it worked,(sort of) but apparently the old installation passed on some bad settings and the more I try to fix it the more confused I get. So, my first question is-How do I take the system back to the state I was at after running fips so I can do a new clean install from scratch?
Next, I rpm'ed StarOffice from the app. cd and find it is a 30 day version and find out from Sun that the only way around that is to get their new 5.1 version.
Also Xfree86 has a newer version(3.3.5 I now have3.3.3.1) which they say works on all Mach64 cards.So my next question is, Should I reinstall rh6.0,try to download the new driver and aquire Staroffice elsewhere, or pop th $30 for Redhat 6.1 which comes with the new unlimited version of Staroffice and (presumably) 3.3.5 version of X and start all over-again?
Thanks in advance for any help,should have gone to installfest!
Michael G. Engel        mengel@cannon.net