Re: [TCLUG:9175] RE: sendmail question

>Does anyone know of an simple idiot's guide to setting up sendmail, each
>time I try to use the mini howto I end up screwing my system up.
        which mini-howto?
        me personally, I just stared at the sendmail.cf for about 3 days,
read the sendmail.org doco, read two different howtos, then figured out that
all I had to do was add the machine's name to sendmail.cw
        what screwed me up for a while was that PSI put my machine's name in
their DNS tables as something different from any of the ones I had asked
them to; then made mx references to the names I had asked for. ;< I think
the "host" command is what finally put me onto this. worked fine ever since.

        mind you, I'm not doing anything really fancy; just masquerading the
name (there's a self-explanatory line for that inb sendmail.cf), and having
it answer to about 5 different machine names (put them all in sendmail.cw.
one entry per line, nothing but the desired name).
        if i wanted something more complicated, i might have problems
configuring it; but for 95%+ of installatinons, the default config file
works fine once you add the appropriate information. I couldn't rewrite a
rule for instance (tho I know one of the sendmail developers; and he could
certainly do it); but you shouldn't ever have to.
        hacking the sendmail.cf makes *way* more sense to me than trying to
write an m4 file from scratch. (i read the howtos and sendmail.org's info;
and it was *not* very enlightening.)

maybe i'm just wierd. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.