Re: [TCLUG:9175] RE: sendmail question

>I would encourage you to take a look at qmail (http://www.qmail.org).  When
>I first began looking at configuring sendmail, it scared me, so
>I implemented qmail.  It was actually quite easy.
        qmail scared me when I looked at it. admittedly, I was a newbie (and
still am); so the need to compile the source instead of installing an RPM
was pretty intimidating.
        like I  said in a previous post; I just read the sendmail.cf file,
looked at some of the doco, and asked a couple of people. turns out the
setup was pretty trivial once I knew where to look.
        YMMV ( a lot ).

        personally, I think a heavily-commented config file is a determiner
of how easy something is to set up. smb.conf is pretty heavily commented;
giving many good examples. the RH sendmail.cf is pretty heavily commented;
so even if it uses terse terms, the comments make it understandable. the
sendmail.cf that SendmailPro generates is impossible to figure out unless
you know what you're looking at (no comments, little whitespace); but on the
other hand, SendmailPro has a GUI to write the config for you.
        admittedly, you still need to understand what the options all *do*
(which is where a GUI with 'help' sections really shines); but *good*
comments down in the code make all the difference in the world. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091