Re: [TCLUG:9366] dual ethernet module loading

What does `cat /etc/conf.modules` reveal about your adapters?
At boot time, the RedHat init scripts de several module checks including
a `depmod -a`.  Because RedHat places their modules into a nonstandard
location (kernel-version-RPM_package_release), traditional depmod searches
don't always work (just take a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).  In any
event, you should be alright as long as the depmod-a can successfully
update /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep.

A quick fix would be to search for replaced files from the upgrade
(provided of course that you did an actual upgrade, not a freah install of
6.1).  Look for anything ending in .rpmsave.  Do a diff against the
replaced version to see if your modprobe magic was somehow messed up by
the upgrade.

Your best bet is to compile a dedicated kernel (this is good practice
for production boxes, not to mention general Linux use anyway).  Compile
the drivers for your adapters into the kernel directly and use lilo
parameters to initialize both adapters (Note: you will still need to `make
modules` though.  There are several masquerading kernel modules that must
be arbitrarily loaded).

Good Luck

Peter Lukas