Re: [TCLUG:8044] Trouble ticket systems (Part II)

[note: this is a long message]

Bob,

Depending on how flexible you are willing to be in regard to the platform you
wish to implement the trouble ticket system on, you might want to look over to:

www.php.net  (check out the projects section)

For those unfamiliar with PHP, it is a server-side, cross-platform, HTML
embedded scripting language.   It has built in support to work with databases
including MySQL, Msql, PostgreSQL, ODBC, IMAP and others.  I think this is a
great language for IT departments looking to implement intranet applications
because it it fully browser based (ie. no special clients to install) and
requires NO browser plugins. I know PHP is available in different forms
including a module for Apache, Xitami and various other servers.

See specifically:
Keystone
http://www.stonekeep.com/keystone.php3
by Dave Belfer-Shevett
Keystone is a web-based application designed to help a workgroup keep track of
issues and tasks via a shared central resource. The system was designed
specifically with the IT department in mind, where quick access to shared data
and history is a requirement. This centralized model works to help organize
the department, as well as giving the group the information it needs to best
serve its customers. Keystone can be used for:

--Bug tracking on software projects
--Problem ticketing for helpdesk operations
--IT department trouble ticketing
--Any environment where quick access to historical data on workgroup activity
is a requirement.

Double Choco Latte
http://dcl.netpedia.net/
by Michael Dean & Tim Norman

Double Choco Latte is a system for tracking bugs, changes, enhancements,
requests for software. The system is suited for multiple products and  multiple
accounts (clients). It is in its infancy now and should only be downloaded by
experienced users. Once the web interface is completed, a Java 2/Swing enabled
version will be started.

Well, thats all I have to say on that topic. :)    I hope it helps you find a
solution.

Michael Munnis