Re: [TCLUG:8048] domainname v. hostname

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> OK, I realize this is most likely a foolish question that is common
> knowledge, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer:  Which name
> is the 'hostname' and which the 'domainname'?
>
> Assume that, in my case, I have a LAN with two machines: one named 'Marvin'
> (my WinNT box) and one named 'ender' (my Linux box).  Also assume that I
> have a registered domain name 'emergimail.com' which is bound to the IP of
> my Linux box.
>
> My guess is that it would be like this:
>
> hostname: ender
> domainname: squad51.net

Hostname is correct. Domain name could be squad51.net, emergimail.com, or
both, depending on how you have your DNS set up. You can rewrite more than
one name with a single IP.

As usual, the place to go for a 'definitive answer' is an O'Reilly book,
in this case *DNS and BIND* by Paul Ablitz and Cricket Liu.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerFireWorks.com/