Re: [TCLUG:8163] questions to ask DSL providers

On Sep 09, 1999, Tim Wilson <wilson@chemsun.chem.umn.edu> wrote:

> I'm getting to the point of considering DSL for my home Internet
> connection. Before I start calling around I thought that it would be a
> good idea to ask this group for some recommendations about what questions
> I should be asking.

I've been thinking about this too.  I'll be interested to see what
you turn up.

> DSL Questions
> =============
>
> 1. Do you officially support Linux?
> 2. Are static IPs available and at what additional cost?
> 3. What types of services am I allowed to run on my machine (e.g., ftp,
> Web).

As far as PC Online is concerned, Q2 can be found here:

http://www.pconline.com/rates/#connectdsl

I'm not sure if they "officially" support Linux, but they do run it, and
have answered my Linux questions in the past (albeit very slowly).  Not
sure about Q3.

Good luck!
John