Re: [TCLUG:8163] questions to ask DSL providers

Quoting Tim Wilson (wilson@chemsun.chem.umn.edu):
> > > DSL Questions
> > > =============
> > >
> > > 1. Do you officially support Linux?
> > > 2. Are static IPs available and at what additional cost?
> > > 3. What types of services am I allowed to run on my machine (e.g., ftp,
> > > Web).
> >
> > Permanent circuit or "dialup" circuit (USWest MegaBit is dialup and MegaBit
> > Deluxe is permanent).

Since Real Time is a MegaCentral, I guess I am privy to announcements that do
not make it to the general public.

Anyways, starting 09-Aug-1999, USW will be offering a deluxe DSL and a
standard DSL. Deluxe is a dedicated DSL circuit that will allow bursting and
a standard DSL is a shard link with a fix throughput.

The announcement was pretty much PR, so I am gleaning technical details from
it. Maybe someone from USW can give more details.

See this for more details an the relevant snippet for the announcement:

http://archives.real-time.com/rte-dsl/1999/Aug/msg00001.html

> > Public IP addresses or NAT routing happening.

Do you get an IP that is valid on the Internet or does the ISP Masquerade/NAT
for you. You did go to Clay's talk a you know what that means right :-)

More of less direct access to AND FROM the Internet (public IP) or is there
something in the middle translating packets.

> > Number of PVCs on your side of the circuit.

Umm, how swamped is the MegaCentral side of the circuit (the ATM side). All
MegaCentral Providers can access the USW extranet site and use the
MegaSubscriber Info Tool to see their ATM utilization.

An ATM DS1 can support around 300 PVC (users if you will), I believe USW
recommends not going beyond 223. So, your ISP should be able to give you
something likes I am using 12/223 or 5% of my ATM link.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700