RE: [TCLUG:8245] FidoNet

>But Carl, *what about the children*?!?!?!

        as for censorship for the children's sake, I think the biggest
hurdle is the gap beween those who object to the technology, and those who
actually understand the technology. there has been at least one good
proposal for protecting the children from _some_ 'harmful material'; but
perhaps this has been (?) too technical for most people to grasp.
        the proposal I like is the creation of top-level domains based on
content; for instance the creation of a '.xxx' domain for commercial sex
sites. it would be fairly easy to block sites based on that extension; and
sites should take to it reasonably voluntarily, as there is no good reason
for them to want underage visitors, who likely don't have credit cards.
        of course, this won't be a universal blocking solution; but nothing
will do that anyway. this one seems to make the most sense to me. it won't
catch 'objectionable speech' for instance; but I belive that objectionable
speech is the very thing that should *not* be censored. this country was
founded by a bunch of people who made a lot of 'objectionable speech'.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091