SMB mounting: a Campus view

Greetings all--

I realize this is a little later, but the recent Samba thread happened to
coincide with an interesting little incident I unwittingly caused on the
St. John's campus network. I like to have my home directory mounted
(they've got NT servers :/ except in the CompSci department which is
filled with SGI machines :D ), whether I'm in Windows or Linux. So I had
Samba set up. When I was screwing around with configuration one day, I set
the 'workgroup' option in smb.conf to the workgroup name of our network,
and thereby made my machine want to be a master browser (read: Bad
Thing(tm) for the NT servers). When the IT folks traced it back to my dorm
room, they shut off my port and called me to bring in my machine so they
could "look at it" -- which they did, and we had a chat about Samba and
interactions with NT. The Unix admin was there too, and he said he'd never
heard of the drive-mounting capability in Samba (smbmount -- what version
added that in? I was surprised).

So after I got the phone call (and before I took my machine in the next
day), I purged out (yay dpkg) the daemon/server portions of Samba (smbd,
nmbd) and just left samba-doc, samba-common, smbmount, and smbclient in
place.

So my main question is this: Is there anything left that could screw with
NT's head and cause similar problems, or am I safe to mount my home
directory again?

--Kevin R. Bullock

kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet
krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet

"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler