Re: [TCLUG:8291] Backup Question

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Ben Kochie wrote:

> I personaly use amanda backup, it's fairly complicated.. but also
> fairly powerfull.  can backup dozens of hosts, linux or otherwise.
> (even win9x/NT via smbclient)  there is also afbackup.  i'm not
> sure about afbackup, but you can recover amanda tapes without
> amanda.. (it has instructions to use tar directly on a tape) which
> can be usefull if you have a total system failure, and have no
> other way to retrive data.  I belive BRU uses it's own backup
> format, with no easy way to recover, unless you have BRU running

I'll have to second the recommendation for Amanda.  It is very
powerful and very easy to use once it's set up.  As a matter of fact,
I think it's EASIER to set up and understand Amanda than Afbackup.  We
currently have it backing up five Linux machines, and it works quite
well.  There is also work going on with incorperating the smbwrappers
into Amanda so that it can use Samba seamlessly, allowing you to back
up shared directories in a convenient manner.  Currently, you CAN
backup Windows shared directories with Amanda and Samba, but the setup
is a little more involved.

It would be nice to see an X front end develop for Amanda.  Perhaps we
should think of contributing. ;-P

Later!

    ^chewie

P.S. If you're going to back up a server that exists on the outside of
an IP-Chains firewall, talk to me.  I had to add a rule to the
autoforward table to get it to work.  (I didn't want to install a
Kerberose server...although we DO have a few extra 486's laying
around.)

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html