SB AEW32 in Debian potato

Just looking for some advice on getting my SoundBlaster AWE32 working
in the latest Debian unstable.  Actually, it's a partial upgrade from
Debian 2.1...I still have the old 2.0.36 kernel.  (I was gonna upgrade
to 2.2.x until I heard that IPX is broken on the latest Debian kernel
package...anyone care to confirm or deny that?)

Anyway, what's the best way to get sound support?  Can I get it just
by recompiling the kernel?  How good is the native SB AWE32 support?
Is it much better in 2.2.x?

For that matter, is gcc 2.91.66 "safe" for compiling the kernel?

Thanks,
John