Re: [TCLUG:8339] SB AEW32 in Debian potato

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, John R. Sheets wrote:

> Just looking for some advice on getting my SoundBlaster AWE32 working
> in the latest Debian unstable.  Actually, it's a partial upgrade from
> Debian 2.1...I still have the old 2.0.36 kernel.  (I was gonna upgrade
> to 2.2.x until I heard that IPX is broken on the latest Debian kernel
> package...anyone care to confirm or deny that?)
>
> Anyway, what's the best way to get sound support?  Can I get it just
> by recompiling the kernel?  How good is the native SB AWE32 support?
> Is it much better in 2.2.x?
>
> For that matter, is gcc 2.91.66 "safe" for compiling the kernel?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Its a little more involved than that, although recompiling the kernel is
part of it.  The file linux/Documentation/sound/AWE32 in the kernel
tree can explain the process  better than I can.  I've got one running
fine under 2.2.12, can't comment on 2.0.x kernels (didn't have the card
then).

 --
James Raney
Please send all mail to this address minus