Re: [TCLUG:8548] WinLinux 2000?

Mike Nielsen wrote:

> www.winlinux.net
>
> I was looking into seeing what this was all about but don't seem
> to be able to get into the servers?  Anyone else played with this?
> Or be this a cruel joke like I hope it is?
>
> --

  Not a joke at all...
Was even mentioned on Lockergnome
For those who never heard of that, what can I say...
It's a Windows oriented news sheet for lack of a better
explanation..

This is what he has to say about it....

I have some interesting tidbits of info (infobits?) for you today. The
first of which may excite you ever-so-slightly; the news comes
                     from Lockergnomie Allen Harkleroad. Have you been
nervous about installing Linux on your machine? There's a program that
reached
                     its final beta stage today; it'll allow you to
install and run a Linux derivative within Windows! WinLinux 2000 is happy
to meet your
                     acquaintance; the site may be busy, but you can
download it here. So what awaits you?

                          Windows integration: WinLinux 2000 uses the
latest technology available in the industry to install as easily as any
Windows
                          application.
                          Smart configuration: Thanks to the exclusive
detection software which combines Windows and Linux expertise, most of
the
                          hardware devices are detected and automatically
configured to reflect current settings and preferences.
                          Safe installation: WinLinux 2000 performs a
safe installation because a risky operation (HD repartitioning) common to
most
                          Linux systems is not needed to install it
                          Easy troubleshooting: a Troubleshooting Utility
is included to simplify the request of Online Support
                          Optimal Disk Usage: WinLinux 2000 shares free
disk space with Windows, i.e., you do not have to set two independent
hard
                          disk partitions that do not share free disk
space.
                          Familiar look and feel: K Desktop Environment
plus WinLinux additions turn it into a familiar place to work with easy
access to
                          Windows network drives and the Internet.
                          The release version is expected to be available
by the beginning of November.

I was thinking of trying it, but would be a whole day to d/l at 28.8k

Another drawback is that it takes anything from 500 megs to a gig to
install
depending on if you have FAT32 or FAT16 setup.

My thoughts are since I havn't actually seen it work, it sounds like a
great intro to
the real deal.  Much like that version of SlakWare that would let you
install over DOS just to get a taste.
What was that anyway UMSDOS or something?
RS