Re: [TCLUG:8523] Cable Vs DSL

>Basically, anyone who would set fire to a NeXT Cube is not balanced
>psychologically and should be ignored or sedated. He's also a co-author
>of *The Unix-Haters' Handbook* -- and a BSD developer. Go figure.
        *The Unix-Haters' Handbook*  is actually a UNIX manual for
UNIX-phobes. I've looked at it once, and it didn't seem too bad.
        I actually thought the FreeBSD v. Linux article wasn't bad. about as
balanced as is reasonably expected.
        lets face it, when it comes to BSD v. Linux; the choice is fairly
academic, above a certain level. Linux is much more 'mainstream', with all
the advantages (and disadvantages) that entails; but the BSDs have their own
good points.
        I think there's a lot of people on this list who use both, but just
don't mention it. :)

        I installed OpenBSD on a firewall I'm building; just to see what
it's like. the install is pretty rough around the edges, and definitely not
for newbies (you have to know something about disk geometry), but the
install-via-FTP part actually seemed to work pretty well. :)
        I'll probably end up running Linux on that box; just because I'm a
complete newbie to firewalls, and the Linux doco seems better (not to
mention, I have to make it vaguely usable by whoever might come after me in
this job; and it'll be easier for them if they only have to worry about the
quirks of one OS). But given a bit more of my time, i'm sure OpenBSD would
make a better firewall.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN