Re: [TCLUG:8685] Problem booting install floppy/cdrom (cracked previously)

>         - The boot does not seem to 'see' the floppy even after we changed
>            the BIOS to look at drive 'a' first.

Do you get any part of the boot loader to start?  Does it just seem to skip
the booting from floppy?  I would recommend trying to make a different boot
disk on a computer that is different from wherever the current boot disk was
made..  Some floppy drives fail silently when they can't boot, and that's
usually due to incompatible formatting of some kind, in my experience (i.e.,
the read head could be mis-aligned)

If none of that works, the box will probably have to be taken somewhere, so a
different floppy drive can be used to boot from..

>         - We also tried the same for the CDROM (by having the CDROM be the
>            primary boot device, however, it is a SCSI CDROM.
>            We did try the LILO: linux scd0=cdrom

Does the LILO prompt come from the CDROM?  (hmm, probably not, since RedHat
uses SysLinux..)  One possible work-around would be to somehow boot DOS with
CDROM  drivers and run the AUTORUN.BAT file.  Another might be to type in
something along the lines of 'linux root=/dev/scd0' (does that actually work,
or am I thinking about a Slackware boot diskette?)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Don't confuse me with