Quake2 - video and mouse not working correctly

I have a new PC from Penguin Computing which arrived with RH6 preloaded on it.
It's a K6 450 with 256mb of RAM. My son bought a copy of Quake2 last night and
we loaded it using the cpio option and taking the defaults. He's run Quake
for a
long time in Windoze. I know about as much about Quake as I do about Linux.

2 problems:

 From command line using ./quake2 +set vid_ref soft +set sndbits 32
Video is stuck in 320x240 and can't change with with the Quake video options
Mouse jumps and skips
Video quality is not great. Looks like pixel depth is low.

 From within Enlightment starting with terminal window ./quake2 +set
vid_ref softx
Video is greenish and only using the left half of the new window.
Mouse works OK.

Everything else about the system seems to work fine. The Enlightenment video
size and quality is fine, insofar as the desktop is concerned.

If anyone knows what might cause this we'd sure appreciate it. McMillan wants
$1.50 for the 1st minute of tech support and $1 per minute thereafter. If
it's not
easy to fix, we'll take the game back to the store.

Many thanks
Bob Nolte

PC4U
Telephone  (612) 941-2192