Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

I can already see the beginnings of a flamewar here. But nevertheless, I
will jump into the fray.

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com wrote:

> * Fully HTML based docs (still keep traditional docs around)

very good. I still cling to troff nostalgically, but whatever works.

> * BSD Inits

that would rock.

> * Source Based Package System (ala BSD "ports" system)

also good.

> * Possibly web-based configuration system

as an _alternative_, not a necessity. If I want to circumvent the
web-based system, it should not be like pulling teeth.

> * Standard locations (woo!) like /var/app/ for logs and /etc/app/
> for configuration files.

um. there _are_ standard locations. The problems are where distributions
don't follow standards. There is a filesystem heirarchy standard already
in place that is quite good. It's not great, but it's good; the important
thing is that Linux standardize on _something_, even (with reservations)
if it sucks. I know there is some frustration over where things are put,
but the answer is _not_ to branch off and make a new distro that has yet
other weird places to put things (and believe you me, even if you think
where you put things is fine, it's "weird" to somebody). The answer is to
make a new distribution that _is_ standards-compliant.

~Dan D.
-- Remember that if computers are networked, they can talk to each
-- other. That is useful in that you can make an example of one and the
-- others will watch (and hopefully learn).

++ Daniel M. Debertin
++ Senior Systems Administrator
++ danield@bitstream.net
++ Bitstream Underground, Inc.