Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

        ok, I don't claim to have a lot of experience; but here's my crumb
(2 bits :> ) :

>Here are some of our plans:
>* Fully HTML based docs (still keep traditional docs around)
        what I'd *really* like to see are fully man-based docs. no digging
through "info" pages or scattered text docs, or (horror) HTML docs (when one
doesn't have an HTML browser installed).
        HTML-ized docs irk me, because one needs a local copy of at least
Lynx in order to view them (easily). on a headless server, this is anything
but guaranteed.

brainfart:
        perhaps what could be done is some sort of
[man|info|README|.txt|locate]->HTML "gateway"; whereby a web browser could
access all these things...
        how about some sort of "database" of information that a web browser
could query; and be linked to all these information resources on the local
system; and, if allowed, information on other systems? (have you ever wanted
information on a certain app; but not had it [and it's accompanying docs]
installed?)
        or is this smelling too M$ ish?
        any better ideas/refinement of this idea?

>* Possibly web-based configuration system
        maybe I'm just paranoid, but web-based configurators *really* worry
me as a possible security hole...

>* Standard locations (woo!) like /var/app/ for logs and /etc/app/
>for configuration files.
        as long as they're in concordance with LSB (Linux Standard Base)
guidelines...

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091