Re: [TCLUG:15523] VarStation with Crystal Audio Control = static in mp3

Bob Tanner wrote:

> I was messing around with sndconfig for the March 30th presentation and now my
> VarStation plays mp3 like crap. Before, they where crystal clear, now they are
> all full of static.
>
> I think it has something to do with when I ran sndconfig. It messed up my
> conf.modules and/or the /etc/isapnp.conf.

What is the card you have?  What does the releevant part of conf.modules
(now modules.conf with newer modutils..) look like?

I did a small hunt on VA's web site and found this, which may or may not
be relevant

http://www5.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/varesearch/solution?11=981124-0002&130=911963458&14=12&2715=0&15=2&2716=&57=faq&58=&25=6

    I have a VARstation 27.

    You installed Redhat 5.0, but I have updated some packages. I
    got the latest version of rvplayer from Real Audio. I have also
    upgraded to your kernel, va-generic-2.0.35-2, so that my tape
    drive would work. I can't get rvplayer to produce anything except
    raucous sounds, unless I disable 16-bit audio. I believe the
    sound is on my motherboard.

    My conf.modules reads

       alias sound sb
       options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1,5

    ...which I think is standard.

    We have a similar machine in my department, for which rvplayer
    works properly. As best I can tell, the only differences are
    that I have a Windows 95 partition, I've upgraded the kernel,
    and the departmental machine is dual processor with more memory.

    Can you explain the difference and/or suggestion something that
    might help.

  Solution:

    You have a Crystal Labs sound chip. Try this conf.modules:

      alias sound cs4232
      options -k cs4232 irq=5 dma=1,5 io=0x220

When sound cards say that they are SoundBlaster compatible, it often
means that they are only `SoundBlaster' compatible, no `Pro' or `16' or
`32'.  Soundconfig may have detected the sound card as an 8-bit
SoundBlaster, instead of what kind of card it really is -- a Crystal
Labs card.

HTH..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Blessed are the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   pessimists, for they