Re: [TCLUG:15483] One more thing on Faeriedist...

Well, here we go:

insyte@emt-p.org, on 04/03/2000 09:36:42 PM
To: tclug-list@mn-linux.org @ PMDF
cc:
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:15483] One more thing on Faeriedist...

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 08:04:04PM -0500, Kevin Bullock wrote:

>> First, a question about this distro: What/who's it for? Gurus who want
>> something to play around with? End users who don't want to deal with
>> system internals? Somewhere in between? I get the sense (from the

>From discussing this with Chris, I get the impression that the target
>audience is himself.  His goal is to produce a distro that HE likes.

Yeah, and it just so happens that it's gonna be a distro that fits what
I like, too.  And many other users, likely to be the Slackware/Debian crowd.

>> A caveat here: Some services are required for (at least what I
>> consider) normal operation (e.g. identd for using IRC). Actually, identd
>> is the only one I can think of offhand, and IRC may not be "normal
>> operation" -- maybe you want to set it up so that any IRC package's
>> install would enable identd.

>I would have to side with Chris on this one:  Go ahead and install identd
>by default or when you install an IRC client, but don't even THINK about
>enabling it.  Maybe suggest it to the user...  But when you nmap a new box
>it should come back blank.  IMHO.

Yeah, we'll probably suggest it, but not turn it on by default.  If you want
identd, you can go turn it on.  There are servers out there that don't require
identd running, anyways.  (like irc.sigfs.org and irc.concentric.net)

>> And good name too!

>And I'm going to have to disagree with you yet again.  The name sucks.

Thanks, we like Faeriedist too.  Ben's just upset that he couldn't come up
with a name that cool.  I haven't noticed any suggestions coming from him,
so he's probably realized the superiority already.  :)

Nick Reinking