Re: [TCLUG:15622] SGI Update (Apr 6)

> For the people who thing $225 isn't a good deal: check eBay again. Indys
> that sell for <$300 are usually without a monitor. However, it IS true
> that these are NOT the top-of-the-line Indys. They are R4600, rather than
> R5K-based.

While the R5K is a little faster, I don't think it makes that much
difference.  A bigger question is how much memory do they have.
Ask for IRIX "hinv" output, which will look something like this:

	fsgi2110:/home/tulip27/jh => hinv
	CPU: MIPS R5000 Processor Chip Revision: 1.0
	FPU: MIPS R5000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 1.0
	1 150 MHZ IP22 Processor
	Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
	Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 512 Kbytes on Processor 0
	Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
	Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
	Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
	  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
	On-board serial ports: 2
	On-board bi-directional parallel port
	Graphics board: Indy 24-bit
	Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
	Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
	Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
	Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected

For information on Linux on Indy's and other mips processors,
try the majordomo mailing list linux@engr.sgi.com.  I'm pretty
sure you can boot Linux, but I don't think the X server comes up?

Cheers,

--
John Hesterberg			email:	jh@sgi.com
Technical Lead, HPC Linux	phone:	651-683-5879