Re: [TCLUG:15778] DEBIAN! via Corel! (was Re: RHat, Suse, Mandrake)

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 11:37:01PM -0500, chewie@wookimus.net wrote:
>WOOHOO!  This is just as exciting as it was when one of my co-workers,
>a Receptionist/Customer Service Rep who I had using an X-terminal at
>work asked me, "So, how can I get Linux for my computer at home?"
>* boing *

Hey chad, is she hot and single? (LOL) Ohh to find a geek girl.....

>> KDE has a Visual C++ development tool called kdevelop, free for the
>> download (around 12 MB total, if I remember correctly).

Yeah, I pretty much think KDE is for old ladies and little kids. I am a die
hard enlightenment fan but can see the merits of kde.

Bottom line, I am going to reccomend you get into debian for the following
resons:

1. apt-get - command line package management tool that will download the
packåge(s) you want and thier dependancies.

2. deb packages - more intuitive than rpms or tgs due to the preinst
andpostinst scripts that can be modified by the package maintainer to do cool
stuff like set up your new stuff.

3. debian specific scripts - little things like modconf, make-kpkg, depmod,
and all the update-* family that make installation and amaintenænce a breeze.
make-kpgk will build your kernel and related modules and place them in a deb.
then you do a dpkg -i <kernelpackagename> and it asks you a series of
questions about installing the new kernel. Very intuitive indeed. then you can
run modconf, a dialog based tool that allows you to install your modules into
your newly rebooted brand spanking new kernel.

4. debian rules - go to thier website, all info you need is contained therein.
the mailing lists are a great place to get support and there are also some
kick ass irc channels that the debian maintainers hang out in to give support.

5. Cool software - over 4100 packages available for absolutely free all at the
touch of your fingers. the command apt-get install xmms for example will
download and install xmms and all it's dependencies. This is oversimplified of
course but you get the jist...

As more and more of you try Debian, take a little while to get used to it and
you WILL be a convert. I guarantee it. It's a little different than the other
dists but once you get familiar with it you will see that much (if not all
IMHO) is extremely superior.
--

Ben Lutgens         651-623-6162
Sysadmin / IT Consultant