Re: [TCLUG:15778] DEBIAN! via Corel! (was Re: RHat, Suse, Mandrake)

> That is certainly a strength in the commercial distributions.  Extra
> blinky software. ;-)  PM is sweet, but I've never seen BM.  By your
> description, it sounds nice.  I'm having a hell of a time with LILO
> and my two drive system.  I'm not going to get into the details,
> 'cause they're boring. ;-)

Boot Manager is nice, but in reality I never had any beef with LILO either. Both
work about the same for me.

> > Calderan came with plenty of software, so I've got no complaints
> > there. The only thing I miss from RedHat is linuxconf -- Caldera
> > uses a web-based system which I am still playing with, trying to get
> > used to it.
>
> * CRINGE *  GUI.  OK.  I'll resist. ;-)  * whistle *

Yeah, for what it's worth, I've done my share of text-file editing, and that is
probably a better way to go for efficiency and precision. However, since I am
still learning my way around the system, sometimes it is quicker for me to learn
the GUI tool, then peek under the covers later to see what is actually happening
-- just my style of learning, I suppose. I did the same with Windows, learned
the GUI first, then started poking around with sysedit to look at system files,
then did the same with regedit for the registry, and finally started figuring
out what it all did, and how I could make those changes from a text editor
(UltraEdit is my editor of choice in Win98).

> > My wife was so impressed with KDE on the laptop, she asked me to
> > install it in her desktop PC! So I did, and again the install went
> > perfectly. She is now using the Gimp and killustrator for web
> > graphics, instead of Paint Shop Pro on Win98, and she loves them
> > both.
>
> WOOHOO!  This is just as exciting as it was when one of my co-workers,
> a Receptionist/Customer Service Rep who I had using an X-terminal at
> work asked me, "So, how can I get Linux for my computer at home?"
> * boing *

Indeed, this was quite a thrill for me, to see my non-technical wife willing to
experiment with an alternate system.

> > KDE has a Visual C++ development tool called kdevelop, free for the
> > download (around 12 MB total, if I remember correctly).
>
> Hmm...  Not much of a KDE fan, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at
> that.  I'm just impressed at the number of IDE tools that have been
> popping up lately.  Pretty exciting times for Linux developers!

I poked around with kdevelop when I still ran RedHat. It seemed pretty nice to
me, and I am primarily a VB (shudder) programmer in RL.

> > I am a relatively inexperienced user of Linux, so perhaps my opinion
> > isn't worth a lot, but hey, there it is anyway.
>
> BAH!  You're using Linux aren't you?  Isn't that what counts?

Thanks :-)

Dave