Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Jason Jorgensen wrote:

> The IDENTICAL thing happened to me. Added a second phone line to my house so i
> could use mediaone's one way cable modem and still have a voice line. When i
> wanted to switch to DSL, USWest's loopback test failed and they told me i
> couldnt have dsl. It was their fault the loopback failed. They installed a
> digital line splitter on my house instead of running new copper. They wouldnt
> remove the splitter even though i canceled the second line. I also called
> Onvoy and they said no problem. He came out and ran a line to my computer room
> before the splitter to my house. Its a nice SDSL 768k pipe.
> For some reason Onvoy can tell USWest to do things that their CUSTOMERS cant.
> Someone told me Covad co-locates servers with uswest and since i was in uswest
> territory, covad told uswest what they wanted done and they have to do it
> because of some Telco Tariff??? Dont know what thats all about.
>
> John Hesterberg wrote:
>
> > Tim Neu writes:
> > > I, too cannot get DSL.. (funny, since I do have ISDN currently) - however
> > > I need a connection that I could use from the outside world as well.
> >
> > Who did you ask?  USWest wouldn't give me DSL, even though I'm in the
> > middle of St. Paul, have had ISDN (lines are still there), etc.  It turns
> > out when they installed our second phone line they used a line splitter
> > instead of using one of the old ISDN lines (or they other second line
> > that was installed before ISDN).  They wouldn't remove the splitter
> > to put in DSL, even though I would cancel my second phone line, and
> > wouldn't need the splitter.  And yes, DSL *is* in my area, both my
> > immediate neighbors can get it (and one is).
> >
> > Onvoy was happy to take my DSL order.
> > Now I'm switching my local phone to Onvoy, too.
> > I can't stand USWest.
> >
> > With Onvoy, you get 1 static IP, and ADSL (up to 768 downstream,
> > something less upstream), which is better than USWest's rates.
> > It's a little more expensive, too, with some hefty termination fees.
> >
> > Now get this.  Friday *USWest* arrives to install my DSL line.
> > Onvoy contracts with Covad for DSL, and one of them contracts with
> > USWest to run the physical line.  OK, I thought that might happen,
> > but it's still pretty ironic!

I could take a stab at this one, since my dad works for US West (although
not the DSL division!)

Usually, when digital line splitters are used, it is not just a "one to
two" splitter.  Most of the time, they have an entire neighborhood on a
pair-gain system.

The idea is that one direct copper line going between the CO and the
neighborhood is converted to a digital line - carrying 96 phone line
signals instead of one.

While this is great for voice, it directly interfers with 56K modems
(causing them to get 33.6K connects) and DSL.

So, just because you offer to disconnect your second line, that doesn't
necessarily mean that there will be another direct copper line available.

My guess is that regulatory requirements with Onvoy force US West to run
out new cable (and probably bill that cost back to Onvoy).

______         _ __         "If you don't have the freedom to use what you
  /           ' )  )               own - then you do not own anything."
 / o ______    /  / _  . .    No apologies to Jack Valenti or the MPAA
/ <_/ / / <   /  (_</_(_/_  -- tneu@visi.com / http://www.visi.com/~tneu --