Re: [TCLUG:16527] U of M connection strangeness

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Jim Crumley wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with your U of M dial-up from Linux?
> When I tried dialing up with my usual script and pon this morning,
> it failed.  The script got past its usual username, and password
> lines fine, but then died after trying to do the protocol
> handshaking.  This same script worked on Wednesday.

Night before last I got a "fast" busy, which I thought meant that it was a
busy situation at a level higher than the individual line -- and I wrote
it off to USWorst having stupid trouble with exchanges getting wet (that
used to be a problem with older NYNEX exchanges when it rained, anyway.)

Of course this happened right when I was trying to test a brand new ppp,
so of course your brain wonders how the hell you misconfigured the chat
script...  talk about a moment of confusion.

> I saw some lines mentioning PAP and CHAP in the handshaking
> part, so I used pppconfig to make some scripts that used
> CHAP and PAP.  Well, it turns out the PAP one worked and
> the CHAP one did not.

Here's lazy:  I didn't even know the U would do PAP -- I've always done
scripted.  BTW, I always forget that the U send 'Username:' instead of
'Login: ' like all the default scripts.

Phil M

--
Life is complex: