Re: [TCLUG:16693] Sendmail 8.10.1

>I've looked at all of the documentation (README's and INSTALL's) and it's all
>still cryptic to me, as I've only begun using linux (October).
        well, I personally just stared at sendmail.cf for a few days, read
Redhat's comments in it, and figured it out from there. my understanding is
still a bit spotty; but that was enough to set up a network mail server.
only had add a "masquerade as" entry, and put the machine's names in the
sendmail.cw file.

ADVICE: use the 'host' command to make sure you know what your ISP called
your machine in their DNS tables. PSI decided to name the machine something
other than any of the names I asked for, and then alias the names I asked
for, to that name. took me a couple of weeks to find that out and be able to
recieve mail. (fortunately, it was just a side project, nothing important).

>1) In the sendmail-8.10.1/devtools/Site, what are the .m4 files?
        m4 is a macro language, often used to generate config files. I've
seen it used for .fvwmrc files as well as sendmail.cf files (take a look at
dotfiles.org)
        if you ask me, it's very cryptic; and poorly documented. I never
figured out how to use it.

Carl Soderstrom