Re: [TCLUG:16719] The NVidia license

Can you open source a driver or release specs but still keep the technology
patented? Can you release specs or driver source for the sole purpose of
creating drivers?
I dont believe so.
If not then we shouldnt complain. If we want nVidia to continue to make
seriously quality products they cant just release specs and code for all to
use. The competitors will snatch it up and run with it. The whole time not
releasing there own code and then nVidia is dead.  I have one of each of the
cards they have made, starting with the Diamond EDGE 3D card that had the
SEGA game controller ports. I love them all.

If a source release soley for 3rd party driver creation is possible then i
am all for it. Otherwise i want them to keep it proprietary and continue to
make super fast video cards.

Someone that has more legal knowings than me please correct me if i am wrong
here, becuase i would love to be wrong.