RE: [TCLUG:16820] Stone Soup computers (related to Obsolete Hardware)

>Anybody out there used one of those monitor/keyboard/mouse switchers?
>If I had one of those, I wouldn't need another color monitor.  Another
>possibility would be to run the thing headless, and telnet in over
>my LAN.  Worst comes to worst I can run it monochrome again.
>
>dsc

        Yep. I've got a belkin OmniCube on my desk beside me, and have been
using it for about a year. marvelous thing. generally, you forget about it
until you need it.
        words of warning: stay away from Linksys KVM switches. I tried one
of those at first, and it was the most abominable piece of crap hardware
I've ever used. cheap case, flimsy buttons, made the screen crawl, caused
the mouse to spontaneously fly and click all over the screen, and spewed
garbage text.
        the OmniCube has been pretty solid; tho it's probably not as good as
a straight connection. I'm only running 1024x768@75Hz here at work; so
that's within what the switch will handle. It might be a bit more
questionable if I tried it on my 21" 1440x1080@81Hz at home, tho. :) there
have been a few glitches & things I might be able to attribute to it, but
nothing consistent.
        BlackBox supposedly makes some very high quality stuff; but you pay
through the nose for it. :)

and there's always VNC, for running Linux boxen. :) if you only want to run
a few xterms on a remote server; that's the way to go, if you have the
bandwidth. (wiggling the cursor an inch or two takes several K of data).

Carl Soderstrom