Re: [TCLUG:16898] Par port SCSI bootdisk?

It's not terribly complicated to apply a kernel patch, actually.  There is alot
of documentation about it out there, but I'll give you a rundown of the basics:

Get the patch and put it in /usr/src on your linux system.

% cd /usr/src/

% patch -p0 -E < patch-name-here

% cd /usr/src/linux

% make menuconfig  (this will put you in the linux config menu).

dig through the menu until you find the stuff about your MiniSCSI card and
hit space until you see an "M" appear next to the kernel option for your
card (this tells it to put it in as a module).

exit the kernel config menu and when it ask you if you want to save it, say yes.

% make dep ; make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

There you go, you've got a kernel with support for your card compiled in.  As
far as puting that on a boot floppy, I'm not really sure how they deal with
modules on a boot floppy.  Hopefully, another kind soul on the list can elaborate a little :)

Gabe

> Hi Gabe,
>
> There is in fact _no_ support for it in the Kernel. There is a patch for
> it at
>
> ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/ppSCSI-0.91.patch
>
> But it's a little too advanced for me to understand how and where to apply
> the patch, and how to enable the support once patched. It also mentions
> that the drivers must be built as modules; how does modular support jive
> with patching the kernel? It would seem that a kernel patch would be
> mutually exclusive with modules ???
>
> Tell me when these Q's get too stupid :)

Gabe Turner		President, ACM @ U of MN	     dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu

"Happy Happy Happy!  Joy Joy Joy!!"
				    - Stimpson J. Cat