Re: [TCLUG:20014] Suggestions...

mjn said:
> I thought of running samba but it seems a
> little daunting and a bit much condering this is one person and one
> task; I'd just much prefer not running the service.

Samba's not that hard to set up.  Or, if your concern is for security, both
smb.conf and hosts.deny can be used to restrict access so that only the one
client you want can talk to the samba share.

> Any other ideas?  The only other thing I could come up with was a root
> level cron which would sweep an ftp'able folder for new files...if it
> finds them, they are copied to the majordomo lists directory.  This, of
> course, is only for updating the lists...

FTP was my next suggestion, though I would do it the other way around - have
the Windows box FTP to RH when a new dataset is available.  Or at least send
email which can be used to trigger a script which then does the update.  (In
general, I perfer to avoid polling-based solutions.  They typically suffer
from worse response times and higher levels of resource usage.  And to
improve one, you usually have to make the other worse.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+