Re: [TCLUG:20517] Some GNOME Questions

Fin de Siecle wrote:

> Perry Hoekstra wrote:
>
> >If I try to move to
> > Sawmill, my screen goes blank.  Do I need to completely
> > deinstall/reinstall GNOME?
>
> Just to make sure, when you say 'screen goes blank', do you mean no X
> session starts at all, or do you get the 'houndstooth' stipple that
> X has as its 'default background'?  I mention it because sawmill/fish
> explicitly *does not* assign a background, so if you had been setting the
> bg image with E, then you would see that problem until setting the bg image
> in Gnome.
>
> I've got Helix Gnome and sawfish running on Debian woody here, and it's
> wonderful!  Let me know if there are any config files, etc., I can send
> your way.

WindowMaker is up by default when I log in through xdm.  If I go to Window Manager and select Sawmill, the WindowMaker icons disappear and it just sits there.  I can't go into the Gnome Control Center to change the default Window Manager because it goes belly up.

--
Perry Hoekstra
E-Commerce Architect