Re: [TCLUG:20646] Root login

  Hi,

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 isla0005@tc.umn.edu wrote:

> When I telnet to my machine from outside using the IP address,
> I cannot login as a root although I supply the correct password.
> Is there something I am doing wrong?

Yes, you are trying to telnet in as root.

You really should not do that. You should also not login as root locally,
unless you really have to. You should login as a normal user and su to
root. But don't do THAT over telnet, either.

Like other people have pointed out, take a look at ssh, or better yet,
openssh.

-Yaron