AC97 sound card

Question #1:
I just got my new Abit motherboard and it came with on-board audio. Specifically a VIA AC'97 audio controller. Anyone gotten that to work in Linux? I'm running Mandrake 7.0 and sndconfig bombs out with errors.

Question #2:
Since the on-board audio didn't work, I installed my old SB16 and it seemed to work fine. But when I play MP3s I get a clicking at every disk access. I tried switching the DMA and IRQ settings, but nothing clears it up. Any suggestions?

Clay