OT: Databases [Was: [TCLUG:13588] Oracle]

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> At the last tclug meeting, we talked about the new free devloper release of
> oracle. Is that available on CDROM? If so how do I get it? Is there and ISO
> available that I could DL and burn to a disc? The only problem I am having now
> with oracle is the thread error you get wwhen trying to install the database
> assistant. Also no network protocols show up in that part of the install.
> Other than that I think it is fine. I am running RH 6.1 on the machine at work
> in question ad am trying to install 8.1.5 and get it operational. Looks like I
> am going to generate some DBA skills after all... YUCK!

Just a tip: if you're a newbie to databases, and don't have a specific
requirement for Oracle, I'd start with MySQL or PostgreSQL. It'll expose
you to SQL and database design without making you learn all the Oracle
crap. Of course, I could be totally wrong, and you could be a database
guru who needs oracle for something.  :)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700