Re: [TCLUG:13602] Myth II for Linux

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 08:48:35AM -0600, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Eric M. Hopper wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 12:37:10AM -0600, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:
> > > Actually, they have a 'newagp' agpgart tree that you have to use :(
> >
> > 	Doesn't that require a kernel mod to work?
>
> No. newagp is the kernel mod :)
>
> > 	*smile* I can't wait until there are SMP capable motherboards
> > for the Athlon.  If dual PIII 550's are fast, imagine dual Athlon 800s.
>
> No. dual celerons.  Just think.  I'm paying less than a fraction of
> the cost you are for a good close amount of cpu cycles. :)

	I think a Celeron xMHz is about 60% of the speed of an Athlon
xMHz.  Even a PIII xMHz is about 90% of the speed of an Athlon xMHz.  I
suspect I could beat your dual Celeron with an Athlon 700, and that
wouldn't require the program to be split in two, or support
multithreading to work well.

	And, if you want cheap and fast, go for a K6-3.  Of course, you
can't get dual that way.  :-) If you hadn't guessed, Intel is on the
company boycott list I haven't posted yet.

	I gave up on Intel when they had that stupid fiasco over their
floating point bug.  It became clear to me then that they were perfectly
willing to use strong-arm tactics instead of technical excellence to
win.  When they tried to muscle AMD out of their market (via misleading
marketing and predatory Slot 1 licensing) instead of compete with them
on technical excellence, that sealed the deal.  Tom's hardware hates
Intel because they threatened to sue him when he spoke the truth about
their chips.  I can't say as I blame him.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature