RE: [TCLUG:13647] multi-processors (was:Re: [TCLUG:13602] Myth IIfor Linux)

I think we can all agree on a few things...

Multiprocessor can be a good thing.
Computing power under 300mhz is really starting to feel *slow*.

Theres reasons for this.  Stuff has gotten more complex.  People have
wanted better games like, UT and q3a.  Microsoft introduced a paperclip...
stuff like that.

Thing is.  Cutting edge is more expensive than most people can afford.

I dont want the fastest.  I dont want the best.  I want the most bang I
can get for how much I am spending on it.  Right now slaping two 50$ or so
processors in a 120$ or so board and slapping 100$ of ram in it is
allready under the price of many of the cutting-edge CPU's.

Think, if you wanted you could build another one out of spare parts and
have a totally seprate windows box :)  Or your kid could get a new box
too.  Or people like me with limited funds can get something that can and
will kick ass when needed.  When you look at what many people are forced
to deal with every day, you wonder why you dont slap some cheap solutions
like that around and start getting into the disposable computer age.
Where you keep the initial outlay low, but expect to pay just as much over
time. :)  Stay on the edge-- but at a budget.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
      destiny's admin       | Robots are most often found in server rooms,