Re: [TCLUG:13613] fstab question

> OK, one other question.  I found the (fs).o files in /lib/modules, but
> need two pieces of info.
>
> Which init scripts want the modprobe blah.o line?

I usually put stuff like that in /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or wherever
rc.local is on your machine)

> Why can I mount these floppies as root when I specify the fstype
> manually?  Only a user cannot mount the volume, because mount says that
> "you must specify the fs type" and "only root can do that."  Wouldn't root
> also have trouble with the fstype if the modprobe thing were the fix?

It is a special privilege that some system administrators grant their
users by allowing them to mount devices.  This is done with the 'user'
flag in fstab.  If a user tries to mount anything other than what was
specifically allowed in the fstab (the fs type and everything), the user
will get an error.

I don't know why the modules will automatically load for root and not
for the user.  It may be a bug in something, or it may be intentional on
the part of a paranoid programmer or something..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Protect Your Rights:
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   http://gnu.org/philosophy/