Re: [TCLUG:13613] fstab question

> > Why can I mount these floppies as root when I specify the fstype
> > manually?  Only a user cannot mount the volume, because mount says that
> > "you must specify the fs type" and "only root can do that."  Wouldn't root
> > also have trouble with the fstype if the modprobe thing were the fix?
>
> It is a special privilege that some system administrators grant their
> users by allowing them to mount devices.  This is done with the 'user'
> flag in fstab.  If a user tries to mount anything other than what was
> specifically allowed in the fstab (the fs type and everything), the user
> will get an error.

What do the floppy entries look like in your fstab?

Are you mounting ext2 and fat floppies? If so, you can handle them with
two separate entries (and mount locations) in you fstab file.

	/dev/floppy	/mnt/dos/a		vfat	user,noauto	0 0
	/dev/floppy	/mnt/floppy		ext2	user,noauto	0 0

I did the above from memory, so they are probably not just right.

After the above lines are in place, just have users

	mount /mnt/dos/a
or
	mount /mnt/floppy

and it should work. Good luck,

Troy

--
# Where would you find a grain of salt big