Re: [TCLUG:13873] Hostanmaes...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 07:29:37AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> It's the Attack of the Boring Hostnames!
>
> I work for a company formerly known as Signature Enterprises, so all
> the machines there are SIGSERVER01, SIGDEV01, SIGDEV02, SIGOPS01, etc.
> And then the full-drive shares (they're all NT) are named dave_c,
> dave_d, etc.

	I hate boring hostnames.  Our manager at the last place I worked
tried to do that.  Since we had a fair amount of autonomy in setting up
the machines, I tried to convince the DNS person to add in aliases so we
could all use decent hostnames.  It didn't take though.  *sigh*

	Luckily, all the development Alphas had decent names.  I managed
to get mine named 'lothlorien', and another named 'fanghorn'.  All the
500 MHz (the fastest) development boxes were named after Godzilla movie
monsters.

	THe biggest problem is that were were kinda small, and so the
machine's would change roles over time.  Since the names were harder to
change than the roles, they would become out-of-sync, and so any
usefulness they might've had disappears.

Death to the boring hostnames!  :-)
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature