Re: [TCLUG:13873] Hostanmaes...

I have run into booring hostnames at big companies before.  it amused me
when I was looking over the "IS system naming policies"  there were 2
choices, one of them based loosely on function, and location.  3 letter
name for the building, 3 for function/OS, and 2 digit number (if needed)
WHSPDC  Warehouse Primary Domain Controler.  there was also a second
choice, a 'creative' name.. such as horas, odie, ike, hickory. (to name a
few)  it was interesting to note that all of the NT systems had standard
naming, and all of the unix systems had creative names.  I've seen this at
other places.. very few unix shops use a "standardized" naming system.
an NT admin that I have been teaching linux named his first linux box
"secsrv03" as his 3rd security server.. (first 2 are
NT.. *snicker*)  after smacking him around a little.. he renamed the
system ph0rq, and plans to name his next linux box sp00n

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)